Saturday, March 17, 2012

What IS My Brand?

If our Brand is supposed to help tell us--and others--who we are, what makes us unique, what we offer, and what we feel we were put on this earth to accomplish, then I need to think about my own.

(You know, part of me has always thought that exercises like this are a little presumptuous, or haughty-spirited even. But you know, I think that THIS is what we should be thinking about. This is the kind of stuff we need to PREPARE so God can use us, move us into positions where He can speak to people who EXPECT to be spoken to in a thoughtful manner! And as much as I think, and as often as I speak to people, I have NEVER stopped to think about this sort of thing. Until now.)

So, to start, I'm just going to record my answers to the questions, above:

1. Who am I?
Shirley Harrod Yandell
I am a woman.
I'm 40 (October of 2011).
I'm a teacher.
I'm married to Stephen (also a teacher; also called to ministry).
We have one daughter together (Elizabeth Psalm).
I have two step-daughters (Allie and Raylee).
I have two Masters degrees.
I am a woman who has been called to serve and minister to the Church of Jesus Christ.
I am a follower of Jesus Christ. And I guess, to label me, you could call me an Evangelical Christian.

2. What makes me unique?
I didn't get married until I was 35.
I didn't have a baby until I was 36.
I've been teaching at the college level since I was 21 years old (Spring 1993).
I've been on three international missions trips.
I've been to four countries, other than my own, in my adult life.
I come from a line of ministers. My mother is--and her father and grandfather were--full-time ministers in the Church of God (Cleveland, TN) church.
I have a deep-seeded BURDEN for the GLOBAL CHURCH--including an indescribable NEED to pray for the GLOBAL CHURCH, to meet the GLOBAL CHURCH, and to speak to the GLOBAL CHURCH.

3. What do I have to offer?
I can speak into the lives of women about Singlehood--and living it to the fullest!
I can speak into the lives of married women--living to thrive!
I can speak into the lives of kids who were raised in turmoil--and being over-comers!
I can speak into the lives of young adults who feel like no one understands them--God has a plan!
I have a passion to speak LIFE and POSITIVITY into the lives of all people.
I have a passion to speak to SELF-ESTEEM issues in the lives of all people, in hopes that their esteem will be BOOSTED!
I can write fairly well--formally and creatively.
I can edit scripts fairly well--including screenplays, plays, etc.
I have a knack for knowing how to write/edit realistic dialogue.
I have a knack for PR and advertising.
I can SEE the potential people have in their talents--for instance, I can quickly see/detect/learn someone else's gifting and passion, and instinctually KNOW what they need to do to foster those gifts, and I find myself encouraging them and assisting them in finding ways to develop, pursue and utilize that talent--including making connections with other people who can help foster those gifts.
I could literally be a talent scout. (Secularly or spiritually)
I am unafraid to travel and can organize missions trips, finances, and even gatherings (like conferences).

4. What do I feel I was put on this earth to accomplish?
To encourage people.

(Um, honestly, I think that everything I do and everything I am is related to this, #4 response. Wow. I had no idea.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I ponder what I have written here, and the process I went through in thinking about these questions, I cannot help but feel that something has started here. Something is beginning to take shape within me.

There is a God-purpose in all of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment