Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Journey: En Route to Florence

Our journey to Florence, Italy, was one I can say with total honesty that our Lord was with us.

Each step of the way, I can recall His favor, His hand of guidance, His presence, His direction.

In Dallas, though we were an hour and a half behind schedule, everything went smoothly so we could get to the terminal in plenty of time. When we made it to the Remote parking area, unloaded bags and congregated for the shuttle to take us to the airport, the bus arrived--not five minutes later, but exactly when we were ready to go. The man on the shuttle helped us load our heavy bags onto the shuttle, helping us not to have to lug all eight bags by ourselves.

In Dallas, too, at the security check, everything went smoothly. The boarding/passport inspector was extremely nice, even complimenting me on my hair. She said two times, "I love your big hair." I told her Thank You. And, though most people may not understand this, I felt God's love in her words. (In my limited international and other flying experience, such positions are not filled by warm, communicative people.) Everything went smoothly; we even had time to go by a Taco Bell and get lunch.

Thank you, Our God, Our Encourager!

In Atlanta, we arrived with limited time--we discovered our plane was already boarding when we arrived! We also discovered that our connecting gate was twenty minutes away--even with the shuttle! So we had to run--with a four-year old and three carry on bags! After we disembarked from the shuttle, Stephen literally started running, because our connecting gate was at the far end of the station.

We couldn't run. So we started walking as quickly as we could--and, literally, before I could even get my mind around the impossibility of our task, a man in a riding cart stopped and asked if he could help us! He loaded our bags and we sat as he honked his way through crowds and about a mile stretch of the airport! We eventually caught up to Stephen, huffing and puffing by that time, and we stopped to load him, too! We got delivered right in front of the gate, the man helped us unload our bags, and we boarded. I thanked him and blessed him from the moment he picked us up until we were delivered to the gate. "God Bless You," I said finally, on our way to the gate. I meant it sincerely, knowing that whether he knew it or not, God had sent him to us, an angel.

Thank you, God, Our Provider!

The Paris flight was overnight, and we were on Air France, which I must say has been a VERY pleasant experience. Psalm found favor with many--including the airline stewardesses who lavished her with attention and gifts.

Overnight, the ride went smoothly, for the most part, but there were moments that the rocking airplane woke me, reminding me of the fact that we were hitting turbulence over a massive expanse of water. Three times, too, I awoke praying--Serai said once she heard me awake saying, "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus," And I remember why, though I didn't realize I had said anything aloud. Three separate times, I felt a dark wave (I will not say more here as of now; I will only discuss in person) coming from behind me, awaking me, challenging me, trying to engulf me. I found myself instinctively praying intensely (again, that's as much as I will say for now) on two occasions, and speaking His name on the other.

Thank you, God, Our Protector!

In Paris, we had been warned about the airport employees, the language barriers, the frustrations that can happen in that airport. So we were gearing up for a mental battle of sorts. Stephen and I agreed on tackling it together, as quickly as possible, as Serai helped us with Psalm. We were bracing ourselves for anything!

When we disembarked and headed out, we found a screen telling us where we needed to make the next connection. And while we were standing there staring at it, a Frenchman said to us, in nearly perfect accented English, "Can I help you?" We looked at him incredulously! God, again, had gone before us, orchestrating our help.

Thank you, God, Our Help!

We boarded the plane, then, to Florence. And I slept the entire way! Psalm did, as well. Though I usually like to be awake for take-off, and even longer on smaller planes, I slept soundly. And wasn't even the least concerned.

Thank you, God, Our Rest!

At the baggage claim area in Florence, I sat on the floor with Psalm, who was sleepy. I wondered if all of our bags would arrive--they had. I wondered if our contact, Lorenzo, in Florence, would be readily available on the phone. He was. And our transport to the apartment? Waiting for us at the exit. He was a NICE man who had lived in Florence his whole life! He loaded all of our bags for us, took us to the apartment, introduced us to Lorenzo.

Lorenzo, the apartment manager, loved Psalm immediately, showing us pictures of his grand-daughter, including her in all aspects of the checking in process. That too, went smoothly.

Thank you, God, Our Peace!

The apartment? More than we expected. Much more. It is beautiful! I felt like I was walking into a novel or movie setting. We are staying in a highly desirable part of Florence--steps from the Duomo. It feels luxurious. The doors open onto the street, and we were met with marble steps up to the higher floors. There is an elevator up to our floor, small, like the ones you see in film. It's more than enough, more than a dream.

I had no idea it would be like this, like a Manhattan apartment opening off the street on the West Side, or like those I had seen when walking around St. James Place in London. I had no idea of any of this. But He did. He knew all along, and directed our steps.

Thank you, God, Our Father!

And more than a recitation, I want to take time out to BLESS MY FATHER, HIS SON & SPIRIT, for being made known to me.

"Lord, I praise You and thank You for everyTHING in my life. You are AWESOME GOD! YOu are my encourager, my provider, my protector, my help, my rest my peace. But most of all, you are TRULY My Father. Thank you for your patience, grace, mercy. Thank you for allowing your son, Jesus, to make amends and provide reconciliation, for such a nobody as me. Words cannot express my love for you. I long to see and feel and experience you more intensely in my life--every day. Thank you for being there through all that has been, that is now, and all that will be. I trust You. Amen."



No comments:

Post a Comment