Sunday, March 3, 2013

Contemplations on Recent Days: A Poetic Musing

There's a saying that goes:
"You can lead a good horse to water,
But you can't make him drink."
And I wonder, sometimes,
If, in this path I'm trodding,
I'm the "horse" the saying talks about.
[Could it be me...?]

What happens, for instance,
If you take a fairly average horse
And lead him to water. What then?
What if that mediocre horse drinks of the water?
Does that horse somehow get taken
Places it would otherwise never go?
[Is it wrong to ask...?]

Or does that horse just get a taste
Of what others, those better by
Some imperceptible measure,
Are somehow privy to have?
And should, then, the horse just be
Grateful that it had the opportunity?
[Should I stop thinking about it?]

So, say that "nobody" horse DOES
Take a drink, and somehow DARES
To believe there is some kind of
COSMIC REASON for the veil to be
LIFTED, that it must be DESTINY?
What then? How does he proceed?
[And how is one to know?]

These are the things I ponder
When I think about the brevity
Of this life, and my life...
Because I dare to hope there is
A Reason for Being, a Divine Course
For this raggedy old horse.
[Am I wrong...? How will I know?]

No comments:

Post a Comment